The Tanzania - Canada wheat programme commenced in 1970 based at ARI Lyamungu, which is quite distant from the main wheat - producing areas of the Northern Highlands of Tanzania. In 1979, the Ministry of Agriculture was officially given possession of some land on the Burka Coffee Estates at Selian near Arusha. SARI was therefore formally established in 1980 by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) as part of the Tanzania-Canada wheat project in order to provide research support for the Hanang wheat complex farms. On 1st March 1982 the project came under the administration of TARO until 1989 when TARO ceased to exist, and SARI was again retaken by the Ministry of Agriculture (Division of Research & Development).
During the 1980-88 period, the station consisted of only the Research farm, a temporary compound and workshop facilities, while office and laboratory space were located in Arusha town. The current office and laboratory complex was occupied early in 1989.
The regional headquarters of the SADCC/CIAT Bean programme for Southern Africa is also located at SARI. The National Phaseolus Bean Programme, previously located at the Lyamungu Research Institute in Moshi, has been moved to SARI as the National Co-ordinating Centre.
Since 1989, SARI has been designated as the Zonal Headquarters for Agriculture and Livestock Research and Training for the Northern Zone of Tanzania, and its mandate now includes Research on all major grain crops grown in the zone based on a Farming Systems Research perspective. Affiliate institutes include Lyamungu ARI, West Kilimanjaro Livestock Research Centre, LITI Tengeru and HORTI Tengeru. The Zonal Director who is located at SARI is also the Director of SARI.
The Institute, which was formerly known as the Coffee Research Station was established in 1934 as a centre for Coffee research in Tanganyika. Its functions were to improve the coffee crop by development of high-yielding, good quality coffee varieties with Resistance to diseases, especially Hemileia vastatrix and later Coffee Berry Disease (CBD). It also aimed to draw up recommendations for coffee growers.
Poatal address: P.O. Box 6024, Arusha
Telephone: (255-027) 3883 (Director's Line)
Telegraphic address: --
Telex: 42106 CANWHEAT
Latitude 03º22' S
Longitude: 36º37' E
Nearest Railway Station: Arusha (about 10 km)
Nearest Bus Station: Arusha (about 10 km)
Commercial flights: Kilimanjaro Int'l Airport (KIA), (about 60 km)
Charter flights: Arusha (2 km)
The compound is located on the Arusha/Dodoma main road approximately 10km from Arusha town centre.
When the Northern Research Centre at Tengeru closed down in 1967, some of the research activities of that station, including cereals and legumes, were taken over by the institute, which was then renamed ARI Lyamungu.
Since 1st March 1982 Lyamungu was under the administration of TARO until 1989 when it was put under the administration of the DRT, of the Ministry of Agriculture, after TARO's cesation. It is currently the National Centre for Coffee Research, which is being supported by the EEC. It is also sub-centre for National Maize and Legume Research Programmes.
Coffee Research in Tanzania is nationally co-ordinated by ARI Lyamungu with close collaboration between institute's scientists based at Lyamungu, TPRI Arusha, Uyole Agricultural Centre and Maruku.
The history of Tengeru dates back to 1942, when a group of Polish refugees settled there during the 2nd World War, starting a dairy and beef cattle farm. In 1952 the Ministry of Agriculture took over the land and established a research and training institute. The research component was destined to become the Nothern Research Centre (NRC), specialising in coffee and agricultural mechanisation. Seed testing begun there in 1961, and two years later the Seed Testing Laboratory became a member of the International Seed Testing Association.
Postal address: P.O. Box 3004, Moshi
Telephone: (255-027) 4411 Moshi
Nearest Railway Station: Moshi (21km)
Nearest Airport: Kilimanjaro International Airport (48km)
The station is located on the southern foothills of Kilimanjaro approximately 15km from the Moshi/Arusha main road, from where it is well signposted.
The NRC was taken over by the East African Community (EAC) as its headquarters in 1967, and the Ministry Research and Training iIstitute was disbanded, its activities being moved to other institutes. Only the Seed Testing Laboratory remained on the site, where it is to the present time.
When the EAC collapsed in 1977, the Ministry of Agriculture resumed responsibility for Tengeru and a Training Institute (MATI), which was formerly at Olmotonyi and then at Lyamungu was moved to the site. Livestock, agricultural and horticulture training were then carried out under a single principal at MATI Tengeru. On July 1, 1980, the Ministries of Livestock and Agriculture split and the LITI (Livestock Training Institute) and HORTI (Horticultural Research and Training Institute) were set up independently under their respective Ministries. In the same year the Pest Control Services Unit was also set up at Tengeru.
Research at Tengeru now concentrates on horticulture and again on pest control. The ministries of Agriculture and Livestock merged together in 1989 to form one Ministry. Tengeru is currently being administered through by the DRD of the Ministry of Agriculture and Coopeartives. Horticultural activities began at Tengeru in 1975, In 1976 the Dutch Government volunteered aid to strengthen training, and research in horticulture.
Livestock Research Centre(LRC) started as Northern Province stock Farm in 1948 with 5000 acres. In 1964, 8000 acres of Sasani Estate were purchased. In 1976, 11000 acres of the former livestock multiplication unit of the Ministry of Agriculture were handed over to the centre. The six of the farm now is approximately 24000 acres (10000 hectares).
Nearest Bus Station: Arusha (13 km)
Nearest Railway Station: Arusha (13 km)
Commercial flights: Kilimanjaro International (30 km)
Charter flights: Arusha (15 km)
Postal Address: HORTI Tengeru, P.O. Box 1253 Arusha
Telephone: Duluti 94
The station is located about 13 km from Arusha town centre 3.0 km south of the road to Moshi.
The centre continues to carry out livestock production research in collaboration with the other LRCs and LPRI, Mpwapwa. The WFP funded Dairy Heifer Breeding programme, the dairy bull calves, and Pasture seed Production projects continue.
Postal address: P.O. Box 103, Hai
Altitude: 1300-1500 m ASL.
Telegraphic Address: UZABOM
Telephone: 3 West Kilimanjaro
Nearest Bus Station: Sanya Juu - 20km
Nearest Railway Station: Moshi - 70 km
Nearest Airport: Kilimanjaro International Airport - (KIA)